Friday, November 13, 2009

Dingbat Digest Defined

I said I was going to post an explanation for the title of this blog, but if you know me, I hardly think you need an explanation. I am, for the most part, applying the most common definition of the word dingbat in its use, you know, "a silly empty-headed person", but in a nice way. I'm not really trying to put myself down. I am a dingbat, but I am affectionately called a dingbat.
My favorite blogger is Ree Drummond at http://thepioneerwoman.com, who identifies herself with the TV character Lucille Ball of "I Love Lucy" fame. I identify myself with Edith Bunker of "All in the Family" fame. We love watching "All in the Family" reruns. Lee affectionately calls me a dingbat in much the same way Archie affectionately calls Edith a dingbat. Edith is a dingbat, but everyone loves her and she loves them all back. She is sincere and good-hearted and another huge fan of rabbit trails. Though it may not seem like it, her stories that go way off on crazy tangents always have a point and are always told with good humor. I think I'm in good company being a dingbat and I'm obviously not ashamed to proclaim that I am one.
By the way, another definition for a dingbat is "a character used as a design element, often to emphasize information", "the sign or symbol of a printer" or "in ancient times, referred to as a printer's flower". All of those definitions could be used to describe me and this blog as well. That's me, a little printer's flower, used to emphasize information.

No comments:

Post a Comment